How to get rid of worms in pets
Healthy-looking creatures can convey worms, so worm pets regularly. Your vet will be ideal to inform which type regarding treatment and technique you should use for your pet.
Worms can cause enduring, disease, and even demise. A few kinds of worms can be spread among pets and individuals and can cause ear infection in dogs.
Worm treatment for pets
- Maintain a regular worm treatment – ask your vet for the best treatment and method to deworm your pet
- Treat pets for roundworm from a young age and, when they’re adults, tapeworms also
- Different worms may need different treatments – ask your vet which treatment is safe and suitable for your pet
- Prevent tapeworms by using a flea and tick medication regularly, as fleas can carry tapeworm eggs
How to prevent worms in pets
- Disinfect food and water bowls regularly
- Ensure housing is regularly cleaned and disinfected, but only use a disinfectant that is safe for animals
- Good pasture management is required for horses, ponies, donkeys, and rabbits to prevent them from eating the larvae and eggs of worms. This may involve removing droppings and rotating which areas your animal has access to
- For rabbits, avoid collecting greens from areas where wild rabbits and rodents have been and if kept outside, place housing so that exposure to wild rabbits and rodents is minimized
- Pregnant animals should only be wormed under the supervision of a vet
- Clean up after your pet and dispose of feces carefully
- Wash your hands thoroughly before you eat.
Signs of worms in pets
It very well might be hard to perceive any side effects of your pet having worms however have a normal worm treatment set up, as exhorted by your vet.
In the event that your pet has the parasite, you may see worms in dung or upchuck, or around your pet’s base. Wrap any worms you find on or close to your pet in clammy cotton fleece and take them to your vet, so they can exhort the best worm treatment.
Other signs your pet could have worms
- Your pet starts losing weight.
- Their fur is becoming dry and coarse
- Increased appetite, weakness, and diarrhea
- In severe cases, infected puppies and kittens can have a distended abdomen or ‘pot belly.
Why do pets get worms?
Animals can pick worms up in a variation of ways, from:
- other infected animal worm eating the larvae or eggs of worms eating raw meat, infected prey animals, or infected parasites.
At GRAH, we have a diverse and talented team of Veterinary professionals. You can trust the skills of our vets, leaving the care and treatment of your pet in their capable hands. Let us earn your trust by becoming one of our veterinary families at GRAH.